St. Louis, Kansas City, or Minneapolis
At Stinson, we believe complex legal challenges are best approached with sharp insight and creative solutions. With nearly 450 attorneys in 13 offices nationwide, we take pride in our collaborative approach, our lasting relationships and our unique perspectives. Stinson clients are diverse—ranging from individuals to universities to start-up technology companies to large publicly traded industry leaders.
Stinson LLP is seeking a highly motivated patent attorney to join its St. Louis, Kansas City, or Minneapolis office. The attorney will be responsible for drafting and globally prosecuting patent applications in the fields of electrical engineering, computer science, and software-implemented business methods. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree, higher degree, or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Physics or related degree and/or work experience are encouraged to apply.
Stinson’s patent attorneys counsel our clients about the types of patent protection available and the circumstances under which each type of patent application is appropriate.
Stinson’s attorneys with electrical expertise work in a wide array of technologies, including analog and digital circuitry, semiconductors, industrial automation, medical devices, power systems, optics, signal processing, and telecommunications.
With computer networks and business systems, our substantial experience includes hardware and software – operating systems, web-based services and applications, neural networks, messaging systems, databases, encryption, digital signatures, metadata handling, and imaging.
This position’s responsibilities would include the following:
- Draft and globally prosecute patent applications in electrical, computer science, and business method fields.
- Interface with inventors.
- Coordinate and correspond with foreign law firms to file foreign patent applications.
- Review country requirements and obtain Foreign Filing Licenses as required.
- Maintain client portfolio and provide client with estimates of costs for future filings and maintenance.
- Draft non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
- Coordinate and review results of patentability, landscape, and freedom-to-operate searches.
- Assist in the Firm’s standardized procedures to enhance malpractice prevention.
- Correspond with foreign law firms regarding filings, deadlines and billings.
- Anticipate supervising partner or client needs for specific projects.
- Delegate effectively and as appropriate with Paralegals or Legal Administrative Assistants.
- Design, recommend, and implement new processes and procedures to increase group efficiency.
- Take on special projects, as needed.
- 0-3 years of experience in patent preparation and prosecution in the electrical arts/computer science.
- Juris Doctor, higher degree, or equivalent in Law
- Bachelor’s degree, higher degree, or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Physics or related degree and/or work experience.
- Excellent academic credentials and excellent research, writing, analytical, organizational, and communication skills are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task efficiently and be an independent thinker.
- S. Patent & Trademark Office registration or ability to qualify.
- Licensed to practice law in Missouri or Minnesota
To Apply: Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, undergraduate transcripts, law school transcripts, and a technical writing sample. Please apply online at https://www.stinson.com/careers-current-opportunities . For questions, contact email@example.com.
For more information about Stinson, visit us at http://www.stinson.com and the NALP Directory of Legal Employers, https://www.nalpdirectory.com.
Stinson LLP is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran, disabled and other diverse candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Stinson LLP is a federal contractor. Information gathered through applicant Voluntary Self-Identification will be used periodically with various government agencies for statistical reporting and to measure the effectiveness of our Affirmative Action and EEO outreach efforts. All information is requested on a voluntary basis and will be kept confidential. We will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
Applicants with a disability that are in need of an accommodation to complete the Stinson LLP application process should contact Human Resources at 316.268.7962 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting an application, you certify the information provided is true to the best of your knowledge and belief. You understand that being untruthful in response to any of the answers provided within an application or any of the attached documents may lead to your termination in the event you are employed. If employed, you will be required to provide documentation showing you are legally authorized to work in the United States. We conduct criminal background checks of all individuals offered employment.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Patent Attorney (Electrical/Computer Science) (St. Louis, Kansas City, or Minneapolis) ]