Indianapolis, IN, USA
Resolves legal issues and provides proactive, business-savvy legal advice and counsel to internal client groups. Manages complex regulatory matters, including rate cases, fuel cost adjustments, financing filings, customer complaints, regulated contracts and tracker filings. Anticipates internal/external business and regulatory issues and provides applicable legal advice. Drafts, reviews and revises testimony, pleadings and other legal documents. Negotiates with outside parties on utility regulatory matters, contractual issues and legal disputes. Assists in training clients on legal issues related to regulated topics.
- Prosecute cases before the Indiana utility commissions / FERC
- Personally handle all aspects of administrative litigation, including trial preparation, discovery, and litigation
- Prepare comments and responsive documents for rulemaking proceedings, or manage outside counsel in preparing comments
- Assist with the review and drafting of legislation
- Prepare applications to perform new services or amend existing tariffs
- Prepare, draft and review applications for various filings such as financing approvals, tracker requests, waivers, etc.
- Prepare rate case filings and participate in all aspects of rate case hearing, including discovery, witness preparation, filing motions, etc.
- Negotiate in hearings or adversarial proceedings
- Advise and counsel clients on regulated agreements and projects
- Counsel clients on new regulatory rules and put processes in place to comply with new rules
- Negotiate and draft contracts with customers for regulated tariff services
- Prepare and prosecute facility siting applications
- Represent the company in investigations and customer complaints before regulatory commissions
- Work closely with the compliance and customer services teams to resolve informal customer complaints and inquiries
- Conducts research
Required Qualifications for Position
- Law degree from a U.S. accredited law school.
- Minimum 3+ years¿ experience for Counsel and 5+ years for Sr. Counsel practicing in a law firm or corporate legal department.
- Experience with independent matter handling responsibility.
- Ability to balance the legal issues of a project with the goals of the business through the demonstration of strong, pragmatic business acumen and the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice.
- Strong, logical legal mind with the ability to apply abstract concepts of law to make timely, well-reasoned and appropriate decisions to solve problems.
- Excellent negotiation and mediation skills combined with strong advocacy skills.
- Skilled at managing multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively.
- Ability to function autonomously, yet understands necessity of advising management of work progress and any unusual situations.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under time pressures and deadlines.
- Exercise of sound judgment.
- Strong leadership, managerial and interpersonal skills including ability to engender trust, respect and confidence.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to communicate and interact effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics.
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
- Ability to guide and help manage paralegal and support staff.
- Overtime and some travel are required.
- Membership and in good-standing with the Indiana Bar or the willingness to obtain membership within one year of hiring.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Counsel/Sr. Counsel (Indianapolis, IN, USA) ]