Remote (Columbia City, IN, USA)
L.B. Foster Company
Who We Are…
At L.B. Foster, our culture reflects our passion for integrity, accountability and safety. We have a long history of providing a safe workplace for our employees, striving to be good stewards of the environment, and establishing strong and respectful relationships with our customers and communities. These fundamentals have provided the foundation upon which we have managed our business for more than a century.
Established in 1902, and headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, we are a leading manufacturer, fabricator, and distributor of products for the transportation, construction, utility, and energy markets with locations in North America and Europe. We have been recognized for achievement in manufacturing excellence, financial growth, and our impressive safety record. The corporation owns divisions and subsidiaries that supply products to industries requiring rail and rail accessories; sheet, pipe and H piling; bridge decking and highway products; precast concrete buildings; and threaded and coated pipe. We provide rail, construction, and energy markets with innovative solutions to build and maintain their critical infrastructure and landmark projects worldwide.
The CWR Maintenance Technician travels to various domestic and international job sites, working with customers to coordinate and plan work activities. They are responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Pilot Unloader for Continuous Welded Rail (CWR) Train, as well as performing maintenance for Yard Operations at the Columbia City Yard.
- Demonstrate effective communication with Railway personnel, over the phone and email, to plan / schedule unloading the rail train.
- Perform equipment maintenance (CWR Operations) in the field by completing preventive maintenance requirements as related to rail train cars and unloader units, following manuals, diagrams, manufacturer’s instructions, and engineering .
- Perform equipment maintenance at Columbia City yard. Ensure operation of machinery and equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, hydraulic tools, rail saw, conveyor systems, portable hydraulic equipment, following manuals, diagrams manufacturer’s instructions and engineering specifications.
- Remove and or fabricate parts by using provided machinery equipment and tools (power tools, forklifts, grinders, mig and stick welders, and plasma and acetylene torches).
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational classes, workshops and reviewing technical publications and establishing professional networks.
- Coordinate work with outside vendors and ensure L.B Foster’s quality standards and expectations are being met.
- Lead the functions of the Safety Committee, under the direction of the Columbia City Yard manager.
- Perform documentation and reporting of all work-related activities including miles traveled / tested, travel expenses, vehicle logbooks, daily work reports, etc.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, & License Requirements:
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- 2-year technical degree preferred.
- Welding experience preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of hydraulic, mechanical, pneumatic, electrical, and schematics reading experience
- Valid driver’s license and U.S. passport required.
- E-Railsafe and Roadway Worker Protection (RWP) certification for applicable client railways, plus other customer-based training as may be required to access work sites.
- The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 100 lbs. and be subject to occasional moderate to intense physical exertion while performing required duties on uneven and rocky surfaces.
- Work may also involve close proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to risk of electrical shock, moderate heights to access equipment for repair/inspection, inclement weather conditions, exposure to fumes and airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals, and moderate to high noise
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Software.
- Demonstrates a high degree of reliability, professionalism, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision are critical attributes for this position.
- Sound technical writing skills are required for work report submissions.
- Ability and willingness to follow all applicable safety and operating rules for client railways in a professional and conscientious manner.
- Extensive work time spent in the field with other time spent in the yard. Extensive travel to work sites in North America with some assignments lasting up to 2-3 weeks before return home is possible for compensatory time-off.
- Overtime hours may be necessary as workloads dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends and/or holidays.
- Teamwork/Facilitates Collaboration
- Accountability/Work Ethic
- Attention to Detail/Time Management
- Integrity & Trust
- Customer Focus
- Continuous Improvement
In return, we offer an opportunity to build a solid career with competitive compensation and a very attractive benefits package, including health care coverage on the first of the month after hire and a market-leading 401(k) program.
If you meet the qualifications and would like to be considered for this position, please apply online at www.lbfosterjobs.com
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Maintenance Technician – Railroad (Remote (Columbia City, IN, USA)) ]