Eugene, OR, USA
Organic Materials Review Institute
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists input products for use in producing, processing, and handling organic foods and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for use in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program or the Canada Organic Regime standards.
Location: Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene)
Due to COVID-19, this position would be remote for the foreseeable future, and you would be working from home temporarily until we can return to the office. We may also consider permanent remote workers living in other parts of the country.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.
Overview of Position
OMRI is looking for a Product Review Coordinator to join its growing team. As part of the OMRI Review Program, the Bilingual Product Review Coordinator will be responsible for completing technical reviews and making recommendations on input materials for use in organic production in English and/or Spanish. The Bilingual Product Review Coordinator reports to a Review Program Technical Supervisor. Qualified candidates will have a background in a natural science related field, understanding and familiarity with organic food systems and food and agriculture regulation, strong organizational and team skills as well as speaking, reading and writing fluency in both English and Spanish.
It takes approximately one year to master this position, so please apply only if you are prepared to make a multi-year commitment. The target start date for this position is June 2022.
Starting salary $47,000 per year, DOE
- Provide customer service including answering questions and providing status notifications for current and potential suppliers of OMRI Listed products
- Review inputs for OMRI Listing
- Review ingredients, production processes, marketing materials, lab reports, certifications, etc. for inputs to determine compliance with established standards
- Follow up with applicants to acquire any information needed to ensure a complete review
- Prepare and present review findings, and make recommendations about whether specific products should be listed by OMRI
- Record and manage data related to reviewed products in OMRI’s Products Database
- Monitor continued compliance of OMRI listed products by reviewing product change applications, conducting ongoing compliance reviews and conducting other technical reviews as needed
- Review and vote on Findings of Fact reports
- Carefully review Findings of Fact (FOF) reports prepared by other PRCs to verify completeness of reports and conformance with OMRI standards
- Determine compliance of materials and vote on their inclusion in the OMRI Products List based on information provided in the FoFs
- Perform regular quality checks of other PRC’s completed reviews to ensure compliance with policies
- Participate in OMRI Review Program team and external Review Panel meetings
- Discuss difficult or unique issues with products under review
- Participate in implementing final decisions regarding products
- Provide and accept constructive feedback on reviews
- Ensure that work done is in line with OMRI’s quality management system, and update procedures and processes as requested
- Thoroughly understand and implement OMRI administrative policies and review criteria
- Draft or revise document templates, work instructions and correspondences as needed
- Adhere to OMRI’s Quality System
- Review process improvement and consistency issues
- Properly manage confidential business information
- Translate policies, procedures and other documentation from English to Spanish, and vice-versa
- Provide support and information to the public, in English and Spanish.
- Write newsletter articles, website content and other public information, as requested
- Assist with revisions of the Policy Manual, Standards Manuals, Generic Materials List and any other technical publications, as requested
- Represent OMRI at domestic and international trade shows, conferences, and meetings, as requested
- Participate in the development of resources for Spanish-speaking stakeholders, as requested
- Participate in technical, educational and organizational projects as requested
- Represent the OMRI Review Program on organizational task forces and product teams, as requested
- Complete research or special projects such as technical reports or educational materials, as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Agricultural, physical or biological science majors preferred.
- 2 year of experience working a food processing, organic production, or other regulated industry preferred
- Superior speaking, reading and writing skills in English and Spanish on practical, social and professional topics
- Understanding and familiarity with organic food systems, food and agriculture regulation, or chemistry
- Strong customer service skills
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team
- Proficiency in standard office software
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, complete tasks in a timely fashion, and appropriately handle confidential business information
- Public speaking skills and experience
- Familiarity with standardized procedures such as ISO 17065
- Project coordination and planning skills
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, if required
- Ability to occasionally travel domestically and internationally, as required
- Ability to provide annual motor vehicle report and proof of auto insurance, if required
- Full time position with competitive salary
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, long term disability and short term disability insurance
- Retirement plan
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Bike-friendly business and support for alternative transportation options
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry
- Casual, fun work environment
Open until filled
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document to email@example.com referencing Bilingual Product Review Coordinator in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
OMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OMRI is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming work environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [OMRI is Hiring a Bilingual (English/Spanish) Product Review Coordinator (Eugene, OR, USA) ]