2649 Willamette Street, Eugene, OR, USA
Organic Materials Review Institute
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists input products for use in producing, processing and handling organic food and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for use in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program, the Canadian Organic Standards, or Mexico’s Organic Product Law.
OMRI is actively engaged in diversifying its work force, creating an equitable workplace culture, and creating an inclusive workplace environment. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet every one of our qualifications listed.
Location: Though our office is in Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene), this position is open to being completely remote from anywhere in the United States.
Overview of Position
If you are looking to use your software development skills to further a cause you can believe in while creating a balance between your professional and personal life, OMRI’s Software Developer position may be a great fit.
OMRI is seeking a Software Developer to join its growing IT team to maintain and improve custom software for the organization. Reporting to the IT Manager, the Software Developer will also work with OMRI staff to help ensure that OMRI’s software takes advantage of the best practices in technology to deliver OMRI’s material and product data in an accessible and searchable format. Further, you will work in a collaborative team environment to implement new tools and frameworks to help OMRI improve its services.
Starting salary $63,000 per year (dependent on experience); 40 hours per week; flexible work hours; generous PTO; telecommuting from anywhere in the United States
Software Programming and Implementation
- Commit clear and well-documented code into version control systems that adheres to the principles of maintainable software
- Identify, document, test and correct bugs in existing code in collaboration with OMRI staff
- Update database records and schema in conjunction with code revisions
- Develop forms and reports as needed
- Collaborate with Senior Software Developers, IT Advisor, and Business Systems Analysts to elucidate software project requirements
Training and Support
- Respond to direct requests for immediate assistance from OMRI staff by troubleshooting, solving and documenting urgent problems with custom software
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree required; an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience beyond the requirements below may be considered as a substitute for the degree requirement
- 1 or more years of work experience in software programming required
- Experience with source control such as Git
- General relational database theory and software design principals
- Strong customer service skills
- Superior written and oral communications skills
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, and complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Ability to maintain confidential business information and adhere to concepts of business and professional confidentiality
- Familiarity with and support for the organic community
- Familiarity with linux
- Familiarity with web server software such as Apache or Nginx
- Familiarity with cloud hosting environments such as Azure, AWS, or DigitalOcean
- Familiarity with Windows Server environment
- Familiarity with concepts of functional and object-oriented programming techniques
- Familiarity with concept of software unit testing
- Familiarity with management processes such as Agile, Scrum, Lean, or Kanban
- Familiarity with Entity Framework (EF) or Language Integrated Query (LINQ)
- Familiarity with database design: MS SQL Server, MySQL, or other relational database
- Familiarity with Windows Forms, or WPF programming
- Familiarity with reporting software: SSRS, Crystal Reports
- Working knowledge of document control processes and techniques
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to occasionally travel domestically
- 100% employer contribution to individual medical vision/dental, 50% employer contribution to dependent medical, vision and dental plans
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, long term disability and short term disability insurance
- Retirement plan
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 13 paid holidays
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Bike-friendly business and support for alternative transportation options
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry
- Casual, fun work environment
Open until filled
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Software Developer in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
OMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OMRI is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming work environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 541-343-7600 or email@example.com.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [OMRI is Hiring A Software Developer (2649 Willamette Street, Eugene, OR, USA) ]