Los Angeles, CA, USA
The Wonderful Company
The Wonderful Company is an entrepreneurial, driven, fast paced organization with double-digit growth that requires incorporating highly trained and motivated individuals into our teams. We seek like-minded thought leaders who enjoy owning, running and scaling their projects.
The Packaging Technical Manager will be a key member of The Wonderful Company’s centralized Package Innovation and Development team within the corporate Global Sourcing Group. The group’s mission is to drive profitable sales growth using a disciplined, consumer-focused approach to define new packaging technologies and develop packaging for existing products and new product initiatives. The position will be working to support all business units with primary focus on the Wonderful Citrus, Wonderful Pistachios & Almonds, and POM brands.
The Packaging Technical Manager’s responsibilities are critically important and extremely visible to senior leadership. In this role, you will be responsible for flawless execution of packaging initiatives for cost savings and process improvements.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Primary responsibility for fiber based packaging initiatives — corrugated, paperboard, etc. for our pistachios & almonds, citrus and pomegranates businesses.
- Work with key packaging vendors to support assigned business units.
- Work with Sourcing teams to provide “fast response” packaging information for costing of new developments
- Provide corporate Design group with technical information (mockups, die lines, pallet patterns, print specs, etc.) to assist with new designs.
- Assure new package development/testing plans include all necessary steps and are communicated to and agreed upon by key stakeholders.
- Develop strong working relationships throughout the company, both at the headquarters and operations facilities
- Contribute expertise and drive corporate initiatives related to cost reductions, LEAN manufacturing, and continuous improvement.
- Assure all new packaging is fully tested and manufacturing processes are validated.
- Ensure all pallet pattern information/Master Data is supplied for all SKUs.
- Recommend cost savings opportunities to the Business Units.
- Work with Sourcing to assess suppliers’ capabilities and provide feedback to all stakeholders.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the table:
- BS – Packaging Science/Engineering or relevant technical degree.
- Minimum 5 years of packaging development experience in a CPG environment, ideally in the agriculture and food/beverage industries.
- Strong knowledge in secondary packaging (corrugated box/tray design and paperboard expertise) as it relates to fresh produce packaging.
- In depth knowledge of paper properties and associated manufacturing technologies.
- Demonstrable skills in working with project teams for new package/product development.
- Experience working with Designers (Graphics and Industrial Design).
- Ability to guide translation of design sketches to engineering drawings and CAD databases.
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written) – able to present information in clear, concise format to all levels within the organization.
- Self-directed individual who can take the lead on issues, but is open to alternative methods and ideas to reach solutions.
- Excellent project management skills, especially in cross-functional team settings.
- Analytical and creative problem solver with Six Sigma and/or LEAN experience.
- A true Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Packaging to serve as a credible source of information and recommendations.
- Experience in package distribution testing, pallet pattern design & optimization (TOPS-preferred or CAPE), palletizing techniques and stretch film.
- Experience with the packaging equipment and printing technologies to do all of the above.
- Strong familiarity with 2-D/3-D CAD, preferably AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator and Artios.
Here’s what we’ll bring to the table:
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental, and 401k with match eligibility.
- Subsidized gym membership.
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) — allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice.
- Work life balance.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, The Wonderful Company is a privately held $4 billion global company dedicated to harvesting health and happiness around the world through its iconic consumer brands. The company’s 9,000 employees worldwide are dedicated to bringing consumers everywhere the freshest, most wholesome pistachios, almonds, citrus and pomegranates; bottling the finest water and wines; and creating colorful bouquets that are sure to touch the heart. This commitment is reflected in the company’s market share: Wonderful Pistachios is America’s No. 1 tree nut brand and one of the top-selling salty snacks; Wonderful Halos is the No. 1 mandarin orange in America; POM Wonderful is the No. 1 100% pomegranate brand in America; FIJI Water is America’s No. 1 premium bottled water brand; Teleflora is the No. 1 floral delivery service through local florists; and JUSTIN Wine produces California’s top-selling luxury Cabernet Sauvignon.
The Wonderful Company’s connection to consumers has health at its heart and giving back in its DNA. The company has a long-standing commitment to corporate social responsibility, including more than $100 million invested in environmental technologies and sustainability research, nearly $50 million in charitable giving and education initiatives in 2015 alone, $30 million toward the construction of a new charter school campus in California’s Central Valley, and innovative health and wellness programs.
To learn more about The Wonderful Company, its products and core values, visit www.wonderful.com.
The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.