Kansas City, MO, USA
Kansas City Public Library
Seeking an experienced public service leader who enjoys engaging with the community by developing quality public programming. The Senior Manager of Plaza Library will lead teams on the Country Club Plaza and in historic Westport. These locations daily provide hundreds of community members with access to programs, materials, and services.
Do you have a passion for public service, a desire to build sustainable community connections, and the ability to make quick decisions? If so, every day at these urban library locations will bring a new experience and a new opportunity to keep you engaged.
Under general direction of the Director of Branch Operations, the Plaza Library’s Senior Manager is responsible for the leadership of a large inter-departmental branch library. This position directs, coordinates, and evaluates all services and programs for the Plaza Library and Westport Branch to provide high-quality library service based on an awareness of the needs and nature of customers.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary range is $62,100 to $75,000 commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. Position open until filled.
What You’d Do:
- Set priorities and goals for the Plaza Library and Westport Branch. Directs the cooperation of specialized focused departments in developing a program of inter-related library services. Assists front line supervisors assigned to other library functions/department at Plaza in developing programs and procedures.
- Serve as the acting Director for branches in the absence of the Director of Branch Operations.
- Direct Plaza Library and Westport Branch employees and volunteers to assure productivity and excellent service. Interviews, selects, trains, schedules, and evaluates assigned staff. Directs and reviews work, conveys information to employees, and relays employee concerns to management.
- Direct the delivery of high-quality library services, maintains adequate staffing levels, and provides consultation to employees.
- Manage branch budgets.
- Plan public programs targeted toward an adult audience and cooperates with the Manager of the Plaza Kid Corner to develop the Plaza Library programming budget.
- Build effective working relationships with the public and other library colleagues, evaluates effectiveness of services offered, maintains strong collaborative partnerships with other Library departments, and effectively manages change.
- Conduct public outreach programs to increase awareness and support of library programs and services, develops relationships and partnerships with organizations in branch service area, and participates in public speaking engagements and networking events.
- Partner with Collection Development to maintain strong collections. Oversees proper collection maintenance and communicates collection needs to appropriate staff.
- Prepare monthly report of activities.
- Experience developing, marketing, and overseeing public programming for one-on-one, small group, and large/auditorium audiences that engage the community.
- Professional history that involves de-escalation with community members of all socio-economic backgrounds. Possessing conflict resolution training, or extensive experience in an urban library setting would be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully with staff and public. Exhibits self-motivation with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of professional library work as practiced in public libraries.
- Thorough knowledge of current management practices, including leading and motivating staff, effective time management and scheduling.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proven skills in planning, goal identification, and achievement of objectives.
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills, the ability to learn operation of electronic circulation system and catalog, and competency in technology skills used in libraries.
- Demonstrated ability to give and follow oral and written instructions.
Minimum qualifications include community programming; extensive customer service experience in a patron facing urban library, hospitality, or entertainment environment; experience as a supervisor, and a related advanced degree (MLS, MEd, MPA, etc). These requirements may also be satisfied by an equivalent combination of education, related work experience, and life experience. Candidates who are bilingual or multilingual are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Please apply for this position through our web application system at www.kclibrary.org/jobs. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Plaza Senior Manager (Kansas City, MO, USA) ]