4850 West Powell Road, Powell, OH, USA
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
First and Third Shift Hours Available!
Enforces rules and regulations to preserve the safety of persons and property, and provides public assistance on Zoo and Zoombezi Bay properties.
- Assists the general public and provides information regarding security and safety issues, as well as, general information.
- Patrols Zoo, Zoombezi Bay, and Safari Golf Course grounds during open and closed hours to ensure team member, guest and animal safety and to assist with guest questions.
- Patrols parking lots and directs traffic.
- Attends to any team members or guests that are injured until medical personnel arrives using trained CPR, ERT and AED Zoo practices.
- Escorts team members with deposits from various Zoo and Zoombezi Bay departments to Finance.
- Patrols buildings and grounds in designated areas, checks animal doors and windows for security, locks doors, operates intrusion detection systems, and turns out lights.
- Active participant in the Emergency Response Plan (ERP).
- Maintains alertness to potentially abnormal conditions and responds appropriately.
- Completes incident reports, first aid documents and any other required paperwork.
- Investigates all accidents, to include full documentation for crash reports.
- Checks all pumps and electrical equipment on Zoo grounds as requested and report operating failure.
- Assists Animal Care Department with nightly temperature checks.
- Responsible for maintaining accountability of all issued equipment.
- Maintains the confidentiality of sensitive information at all times.
- Practices professional and precise communication on all zoo radio and communication systems.
- Communicates all relevant safety and security related information to security dispatch throughout the work shift and conducts routine status and safety checks with the dispatcher.
- Full understanding of Security Check Point and Dispatch operations.
- Operates an IP based camera system to detect unusual situations, and contacts appropriate personnel if unusual situation found.
- Successfully passes Special Response Team (SRT) qualification, semi-annually.
- Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
- Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two or Four-year degree in related field or 2 to 4 years of law enforcement, military or relevant experience preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience as a security officer or related occupation required.
- Current CPR, ERT and AED certification required.
- Ability to think and act quickly, with good judgment, in all situations, including emergencies.
- Ability to be alert to potentially abnormal conditions, including in low light conditions.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays required. 3rd shift experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
- Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
- Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
- Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
- Previous weapons training and experience preferred.
- Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
- Proof of negative TB screening prior to commencing work and annually thereafter required.
- Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
- Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
CLICK ON JOB TITLE TO APPLY JOB NOW @ HIRE A VETERAN JOB BOARD → [Security Ranger (Part-Time) (4850 West Powell Road, Powell, OH, USA) ]