Decatur, IL, USA
Decatur Memorial Hospital
Functions as a member of surgical team, maintains sterile environment for surgical patients of all ages, ensures availability of case-specific supplies and equipment and passes instruments and supplies.
- Ensures sterile environment and applies sterile and safe techniques.
- Assists in preparation and draping of the patient.
- Assists with operating room setup.
- Wears lead aprons during radiological surgical procedure. Always wears eye protection and personal protection equipment/uses hands free zone.
- Reports unsafe conditions.
- Disassembles and decontaminates instruments/supplies.
- Performs as a scrub nurse or assistant, anticipating surgeon’s needs throughout.
- Plans for procedures by reviewing case cart and resource map.
- Sets up and passes instruments, sutures and supplies during surgical procedures.
- Identifies specimens with the surgeon and the circulating nurse, places in appropriate container that is properly labeled. Transports specimen to appropriate lab pickup area.
- Transports surgery patients as needed.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in cost-effective manner.
- Maintains adequate supplies/par levels for assigned specialty items (i.e. mesh, staplers, special suture, and ortho systems).
- Updates resource maps on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborates with RN for correct sponge, needle, and instrument count.
- Achieves goals identified at previous annual or 90 day evaluation.
- Maintains proficiency in specialties and flexibility in all other areas.
- Attends meetings and in-services to further self-growth.
- Completes required Computer Based Learnings (CBL’S) on NetLearning
- Seeks information from literature and resource persons for all specialties.
- Maintains requirements for certification.
- Assists in instructing staff, students, and new employees.
- Adheres to departmental/DMH policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Unscheduled hours and weekly stay-lates.
- Participation in 24-hour call rotation.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Graduate of a recognized Surgical Technologist program or military experience as a Surgical Technologist with at least 1 year experience.